Wednesday, September 10, 2008

News about work...and "work..."

I thought I would let everyone else decide which kind of "work" gets put into quotes - the day-job - which totally stresses me out, but puts food on the table and gives my family and me health insurane, or my artwork which...stresses me out, sometimes puts more food on the table (have you met my kids? they're like vacuum cleaners!), and provides me with a much-needed creative outlet. You decide. Regardless, I have some news on both.

Most of you know that my 9-5 job (which is really more like 9-9 most days, except when it's 9-midnight) is being the Photo Editor for Rodale Books. For those who didn't know this - now you do. And though I plan to use this blog as a forum for my art career, sometimes the publishing thing will creep in too. So, if you're interested, read on - and if not, skip down a couple paragraphs to some art news.

You've decided to read on...my, you are dedicated! Thanks and stuff! Anyway, I've agreed to be a panelist for a seminar at the Picture Archive Council of America's (PACA's ) International Conference in New York City on October 25th. I don't know all the details yet, but the seminar will focus on the stock photography industry, and will offer diverse perspectives on the current state of the industry, where my colleagues and I think it's headed, and who knows what else. I'll be the representative from the publishing sector, and I'm told there will be 4 other panelists from other areas of the creative marketplace. Should be an interesting event, supposedly very well-attended, and I'll probably see folks I haven't seen in a while. More about PACA at:

http://www.pacaoffice.org

Of course, I'll probably see them again later that week for the annual Picturehouse convention: http://www.picturehouse.org/

But that's beside the point I guess...

Ok, for those of you who read that - thanks! For those of you who didn't and skipped down to this part, no judgement here...welcome to the "fine art" portion of the discussion.

Ok, stop complaining, no new work yet - like I said, I'm working on it, but my digital imaging guy is swamped right now, so I told him it could wait a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll bribe him with beer - he likes beer. I like beer. Maybe I should go get a beer. Like right now. Well ok, first the news: just booked a new show. At Flatfile. I know - we parted ways, but as I said, it was an amicable parting (mostly) and I told them I'd do the guest artist thing with them. So, in February of 2009 (Feb. 27th for those who REALLY like to plan ahead), I'll be participating in a show called SEPIA. Pretty much just as it sounds - work that is sepia-toned or sepia color - you know- the whole nostalgia thing that I've been doing for, like, my whole professional career. See why the show makes sense? Of course you do! Anyway, not sure what the work will be (old, new, mix of the two - hey that rhymes!), but I'll keep y'all posted.

That's it for now. Enjoy the rest of your work week. Just a couple more days...!

-Marc

No comments: