Saturday, September 27, 2008

If a blog falls in the forest, but nobody is around to hear it...

Hi all:

Until recently, I wasn't really sure anyone was reading this - like I said in my earlier post, I've heard that you have to register an e-mail address to leave a comment. I wouldn't do it if I were you - and everyone apparently agreed with my thinking. But then I got a couple of e-mails from folks telling me that not only are they reading it, but they actually like it! Wow, who'd have thought? Well, I guess I'll keep going then - at least for a little while - until I need to head home and begin my weekly Saturday night solo parenting duties..

Rainy day here in PA - out at a coffee shop with a new drink I haven't tried before - apparently with good reason. Yuck! Blogging music of the day: Midnight Oil. I know - some folks find them a little preachy, etc - but I always liked that they stayed true to their roots their whole career. Plus, they just have a signature sound that I love.

Ok, onto art. Recently, I was thinking about how I've been doing this whole plastic camera thing for 8-9 years now, which I continue to love - especially because I keep finding new ways to squeeze creativity out of it. My latest body of work, which I shot with this camera, has garnered some very positive feedback - so I guess I still have a future with my trusty old Carlton (yes, that's the name of the camera).

The thing is, I can't remember the last time I shot with my fully manual Nikon FM2. It's been forever! I'm thinking about taking it out for a spin - it's probably a little bitter these days - and with good reason. It went from being the "apple of my eye" (you guys like that "photography/eye" pun? Awesome!) to taking up space in my closet, behind my Carlton and my point and shoot Casio digital. We have some relationship mending to do, and honestly, I'm feeling a bit rusty with it. I'm sure it's like riding a bike - I've had it since freshman year of college and wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe for a Leica - but it would be a tough call.

Well, on the subject of my current work, I have some images ready to print. Of the 3 scans I got back - I realized 1 image clearly won't work, 1 image might work, and one will be GREAT! (at least I think it has that potential) Not bad: 1, possibly 2 out of 3? I'll take those odds as a photographer any day. Solid scans from Tom though on all fronts. Waiting for 4-6 more, should have early next week. Then, I need a day to do some printing and hopefully I'll have a few new pieces at the end of next week!

Ok, I haven't recommended any other artists for a while. I realized the last time I did this, I left out one of my all time favorites. Her name is Holly Roberts, and she does oil painting on photographs. Now, before you turn your nose up and say: "how revolutionary - everyone is doing that now!", consider that she has been doing it since the 1970's. That's right, the 1970's! And, she is STILL better at it than anyone else. This woman has been a huge inspiration on my work - I walked into a show of hers at Catherine Edelman Gallery in Chicago early on in my professional career, and it truly changed my artistic sensibilities forever. Ironically, I never did a series of painting on photography - I tried it once, but it wasn't right for my work and I also knew I'd never be able to do it as well as she does (mainly because my painting skills are, shall we say, less-than-ideal). But, she helped me realize what mixed-media/alternative process photography could be and at that moment, I knew that was where my work needed to go to get across my themes.

http://www.hollyroberts.com/

http://www.edelmangallery.com/roberts-main.htm


Ok, in other news, the Google problem appears to have been fixed - at least for now. That's a bit of a relief. I see a competition brewing between Rabbi and artist, East Coast vs. West Coast, Jew vs. Jew. Our own version of Biggie and Tupac - we'll battle it out "old school" for reigning supremacy of the name Marc Sirinsky on the web. I'm at a disadvantage though - he's a Rabbi and probably has some friends in "high places." I, on the other hand, probably have some enemies in "high places."

That's it for the moment. Enjoy the weekend. Hopefully, I'll have some real news next week.

-Marc

No comments: