Thursday, September 18, 2008

Google Poop

So, after a rather trying night with the kids (poop, pee, tantrums - the really fun part of parenting), I decided some time to myself was in order. So, now that I am all snuggled up with my computer, some Bad Religion on iTunes and hot cocoa at Starbucks, I thought some blogging was appropriate. I know, Bad Religion and hot cocoa - who'd have thought? Somehow, the dichotomy works for me - I can't explain it. And yes, I am at Starbucks - and for those of you against the whole Starbucks business model, you can feel better in knowing that the location I go to is closing. And before that, they are significantly cutting their hours. Feel better? I hope so - because I don't.

So, I recently discovered that my website disappeared from the ranks of the almighty Google. Out of nowhere. So, after my 10 minute rant of 4 letter expletives, I checked in with the folks who run my site, and they assured me they're on it. I also did some tweaking on my end - so we'll see if it does any good. In the meantime, you may be surprised if you Google my name and find that the first entry is for a Rabbi with the EXACT same spelling as my name - first and last. So, before you all tell me how "hilarious, ironic, funny, insert adjective here" this is - let me assure everyone that this is not news.

The other Marc Sirinsky was a screenwriter before becoming a Rabbi apparently. While growing up, my parents used to tell me there was this other guy out there with my name who was on the credits of a bunch of TV shows (Trapper John M.D., among others). Anyway, I didn't think much about it until I moved back in with my mom just after college. Anyway, I started getting this guy's mail - but it was a different Marc Sirinsky from the other guy (so I thought)- one Rabbi Marc Sirinsky. Whenever something would show up at my mom's addressed to a "Rabbi" Marc Sirinsky, my mom would always say "YEAH, that'll be the day!" Seriously, every time! Not that she was wrong, but...

One time I called a company who was printing postcards for one of my art shows to get an update. I gave them my name and they said "Which one?" My response was, "You gotta be kidding. I'm being haunted by a Rabbi!" A web search proved that the screenwriter and Rabbi were one in the same.

So, being the pious Jew that I am (cough cough), I thought I would extend a friendly hand and e-mailed the guy's secretary to say "hi, there's two of us, thought he'd get a chuckle out of it...etc" The response: "How funny!" I'm guessing she didn't even tell him. And now he's haunting me again! Hopefully this Google thing will get fixed soon - otherwise, people are going to ask me to officiate their weddings or something - and trust me, that wouldn't be good for anybody.

It has also come to my attention that in order to leave a comment on here, you have to provide an e-mail address. Hopefully, that explains the absence of comments on here - otherwise, you are all in big-ass trouble. Unless of course you don't have anything nice to say. Then, by all means, keep your comments to yourself...

Ok, onto art. Bought some prints recently - excited about them but probably won't get around to framing them for a while. Cool stuff - all work from 20x200- see earlier posts. My framer in Chicago is always surprised at my art collection - I guess a lot of artists don't collect art. I'm the opposite - I need the inspiration of other artists' work. Also, I just love having other stuff around besides my own. When you're an artist and have friends/colleagues who are artists - it's like you have a backstage pass to the art world. Trade with people, buy a sketch, figure out ways to take advantage of your access. And perhaps most important of all, artists should support artists - we need each other.

Scans should be ready next week so I can really begin crankin' on some new work soon thereafter. "Excellent Smithers, Excellent!" I'm hoping for 4-6 new pieces out of this latest batch - so we'll see. I'm also going to be meeting with a gallery out this way in Easton, PA (which has a growing art scene) to discuss some possible exhibition opportunities with them. It's been called the "mothership" gallery of the area, so we'll see if it's a good match.

Well, this post has gone on long enough. I know - a lot of effort for very little news. Sorry about that. But, I'll make up for it in the coming weeks. I promise.

-Marc

1 comment:

Marc Sirinsky said...

I just noticed this because the comments were hidden, but I want it clearly stated here that I AM NOT the same person as Rabbi Marc Sirinsky. We have the same name, but I am about the furthest thing from a Rabbi as you can possibly get. Two completely different people, who happen to have the same very uncommon last name.

I live in Northern Virginia, by way of Chicago and then Pennsylvania and have absolutely no ties to the west coast, where Rabbi Sirinsky is located (at least last I heard). Please refrain from posting things related to him or his congregation here...this is strictly about my photography (Rabbi Marc Sirinsky was indeed a screenwriter/film student I think, but was never a photographer so I'm told).

Thanks.