Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Glimmer?

Hi all:

Hope everyone is having a good week thus far. Here in the Northeast, we went from 60-70 degrees to 40's this week - gotta love it! I was in NYC on Monday for some networking and I froze my ass off! Having grown up in Chicago, I always say that it ain't truly spring until May.


Blogging music today is Social Distortion - a live album they recorded at the Roxy in L.A. Great disc - and I've been listening to it a lot the past couple of weeks. Why? Because recently, an American Idol contestant performed a creepy, weird, uncomfortable version of "Ring of Fire" by The Man In Black, and I found myself yearning for the Social D. cover of it (which they still play on tour to this day).

Anyway, most of you know that I have this weird thing when it comes to jinxes. I don't like telling people good news until it's solid for fear that the fate vultures will swoop in and snatch it. But, there have been some positive developments recently, and since this blog is about keeping everyone updated on things, I figure I should just let y'all know what's up. I'm knocking on wood right now, even as we speak.

The big piece of news is that I may be working with a new art dealer. He appears to be exactly the kind of person I've been looking for to push and distribute my work. Seems like he's an art dealer first and a gallery director second - which is just what I need. I'll likely get more personal attention and he already has some great ideas on new venues for showcasing my work. A nice, very well-connected guy with a lot of contacts in NY, the Midwest and CA - and if things work out, this could be a pivotal moment. We're still in the discussion stages - but the possibilities are definitely there.


The other piece of news is that my wife and I are discussing the possibility of finishing off our basement. Included in the plans would be an office/studio space for me - which would really be great. Currently, there isn't a lot of room for me to create work or do "work" and this will definitely help in a major way. A final decision hasn't been made yet, but it is looking quite likely. I expect that we'll decide pretty soon - and I'm guessing if we move forward, work would be begin by May 1st or so.

Everything is tied together - new exhibition/exposure opportunities, a new studio and the fact that right now, I believe I am creating the best work of my entire career. If these new developments do move forward, my hope is that they will feed into my creative process and kick my work up another notch. As an artist it is always important to find ways to get better- and external factors have a lot to do with it, though many would claim otherwise.

The song playing right now through my headphones is "Prison Bound," and I'm smiling because I think that I may actually be "breaking out." Keep knocking on wood folks - keep those fate vultures at bay!


I'll close with a photo for your viewing pleasure - newly discovered daguerrotype dating from 1848, showing a country estate in Manhattan. Thanks to my brother Eric for sending me the link to the story on the NYT: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/25/ny.photograph/index.html






More soon...



-Marc

No comments: