Wednesday, March 11, 2009

like so many others...

Spring greetings everyone. Ok, a little optimistic, but why not - especially since my family and I seem to be recovering from the Black Death we all had last week.





Lots to blog about today, so get comfy. I'm getting cozy with a Jones Cream Soda and a little U2 for my listening pleasure. Anyone who's known me for more than 30 seconds knows that I've got a major soft-spot for those Dubliners. Definitely my all-time favs, and I just got their new one, and am letting it soak in. Still not sure yet - but for today's session, I went back to the beginning and have "Boy" piping through my headphones.





First order of business: R.I.P. Flatfile. I guess there was a reason why I hadn't heard about the status of this group show I was supposed to be in. After posting my last blog entry, I went back through my records and noticed the show was supposed to open at the end of February. I assumed they decided to ditch me at the last minute or postpone the show, but as it turns out, the gallery is closing. Apparently, the show is still happening - the director will be curating it as a guest at a different venue (Mars Gallery, from what I understand) and I am apparently still part of it.





I haven't oftentimes referred to Flatfile by name on here, but most of you know that I've had a relationship with them in some way for a very long time. I was one of their first artists to sign on and was represented by them for many years. The relationship devolved since I moved to Pennsylvania and I began working with them on a guest-artist basis since then, but I've had some tie to them during most of my professional career. When it came to Flatfile, I was never pushed in any direction and I knew that generally, if I created it, they would show it. This was the good news and the bad news - I got great experience and a strong exhibition pedigree from them, but there were times where I probably could have used a nudge. But, Flatfile grew to represent almost 70 artists at one point (not an environment in which I thrive), and individual attention simply doesn't work in that equation. But, despite our differences over the years, Flatfile helped put Chicago's West Loop Gallery district on the map, and I have a lot to thank them for. I'll keep everyone posted on the group show when more details become available.





I'm also in a new group exhibition at the gallery in Easton, PA I mentioned before - but this time, my experience was a little different than the last time I showed there. Not walking in with expectations I'm sure helped the first go-around, because this time, I was a little disappointed. The work in the show overall is fine (though I've liked others of theirs a lot better), but I'm not pleased with the way my work is being shown this time. I gave them 4 pieces to chose from, and they picked the two subtlest. But, they proceeded to hang them in an area in with absolutely abysmal lighting. There were a lot of pieces in the show that were bolder and that would have looked fine in that type of light, but mine CLEARLY don't. As soon as I saw them there, I said to myself - "I guess I'm not selling anything from this show." I've been wrong before, but this time, I wouldn't bet against me. But, as a professional artist, this is the kind of thing you have to be prepared for and let slide off your back (but it's nice to be able to bitch about it a little too). The work being shown is two older pieces - both on my website (http://www.sirinsky.com/). For those that care, they are #11 and 12 from the site.





Quick survey: I'm having some difficulty with deciding what to do with one of the images on the site. #6 - the shot of the wave crashing. I still like it, but not as much as I did before - and I'm thinking I might like it better as a pure b/w rather than a toned image. But, I'm not sure if I want to keep it on the site at all at this point - it's been naggin' me. Whadaya guys think? Keep it, tweak it or ditch it? I have a b/w version of it on my other comp - so I'll post it up here so you guys can see it and look at both versions next to each other.





In other news, I think I'm going to start submitting this blog to some directories. We'll see- but what harm could it do, right?





Still waiting for some scans back from Tom A. - might have end of this week, but I don't see myself touching anything for another week at least - I need to recover before working on anything, unless you want to be subjected to total crap - which I'm guessing you don't.





Also have another roll out for processing - shot it during the recent snowstorm. I'm thinking the whole roll could potentially suck, but then again, that's a possibility every time I pick up my camera.





I'll close with a drawing by one of my current favorites - Josh Cochran, which I think sums up how most of us are feeling these days.












Happy Hump Day!


-Marc

No comments: