Thursday, April 2, 2009

Are We The Waiting

Howdy!


Hope everyone's week is progressing nicely. I'm going to be doing the friends and family thing next week for birthdays, Passover, etc - so I wanted to get an entry in before the chaos hits. Tunes for my listening pleasure today is courtesy of The Sounds. Fun band, upbeat - something to counteract the rainy, cold spell we've had out here in the Northeast lately.


I had hoped to have some new work ready to post this week, but as it turns out, I'm still waiting for scans to come back...so it will have to wait a week or two more. Sorry guys. I'm also wondering that the hell is going on with the film I dropped off for processing like a week and a half ago. I called and left a message, but I'm starting to get a little concerned - I'd hoped to have my scanning pal squeeze in one or two more from that roll next week (provided they turn out), but that is starting to look unlikely. I've also got a framing guy and an accountant not calling me back - WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON PEOPLE? GET IT TOGETHER!


Since I'm playing the waiting game on my new images, I need something else to scratch my creative itch. I tweaked a few images on the website (http://www.sirinsky.com/) - just color and technical stuff, no new additions yet. I also plan to do some shooting this week as well - not sure exactly what yet, but I'm hoping to bang out another roll or two.


We also have a layout for how the basement will look, should we decide to move forward with finishing it. The front will be combo kids/guest room area and the back will be a home office/studio. Should be interesting to see if this actually happens - we're waiting for quotes on some things before we decide...WOW, my computer just went nuts and had to re-boot...lovely. Luckily, Blogger saves drafts every minute or two automatically.


A couple of weeks ago, I went to a mixer for creative professionals - very well-attended and made some new friends, but it was only marginally useful on the whole job front. It was almost entirely unemployed creatives, and nobody in attendance was in a position to hire any of them. Not exactly worth 4 hours on a bus. But, I had a great meal with my new friend Donna (http://donnarickles.com) and got some other stuff done in NYC while I was there. And yes, Donna's last name is really "Rickles." She's a really good sport about it, considering the hell she's caught for it during her life...


Not much else to report, but in keeping with my promise of incorporating more imagery into this thing, I've included a few pieces by artist Cathy Daley. I saw her work a few months ago in a show at Eli Klein Gallery in NYC, and I just fell in love with it. Her media for these is pastel on vellum, and at first they appear very simple, but to me, they feel stark and whimsical all at the same time. The feeling of motion and in some cases, pure unraveling that she conveys is really powerful. These low-res digital images don't really do her work justice - in person, they just jump off the wall.




Happy early Passover/Easter to everyone!
-Marc

No comments: