Sunday, February 27, 2011

New Images, New Supplies, New Discoveries...

Good morning loyal blog readers:

Now that I've finished my chai and am a little more caffeinated, I can talk to y'all with some level of coherence. Blogging music today is The Cranberries. I'm not a huge fan of their dreamy stuff, but they can really rock when they want to. One of my favorite concert memories is seeing them in a tiny club in Chicago with my sister-in-law - that version of Salvation was worth the trip all by itself!

On the art front - I have a new roll of film currently being processed. It's b/w, so it may take a little while - this shop hand processes b/w film still (I know - crazy, right?), so the guy waits until he has a sizeable pile of film from other retro folks like me so he can do them all at once. Could be a week or more - we'll see.

I haven't gotten back to the image I posted last week - not a large enough chunk of time to finish it off. I also just bought a new printer...which is replacing the old one I used for part of the printing process. This new printer is awesome (wireless, which is helpful), but I'm not sure how the inks will behave - so there may be some trial and error before I can really dig in again. We'll see...but I plan to get on it this week if possible.

In other news, I recently made my first trip to the Phillips Collection in DC. For a museum of it's size, it is easily the best permanent collection I've ever seen. Several major stars of art history are there: "Luncheon of the Boating Party" by Renoir, "The Uprising" by Daumier and "The Road Menders" by Van Gogh - among many others. However, my favorite was a landscape by Courbet called "The Mediterranean." I'm not typically a huge Courbet fan - he falls into the same category for me as Manet. I appreciated what they did for the history of art, but I don't typically enjoy looking at them (with the exception of their works on paper.) But, this one just blew me away. I must have come back to it 3 or 4 times during my trip to the museum - it's just a masterpiece...simple as that. I'd post a version here - but you really need to see it in person to appreciate it (particularly in terms of the colors). Google it if you want to get a sense...

Anyway, that's all for now. More to come soon - hopefully the next entry will include a newly finished piece!

-Marc

No comments: