Saturday, February 12, 2011

New and a Little Different

Hello Blog Fans:

Well, it took me a few weeks, but here comes the first entry of the year from your's truly. I've been a bit under the weather the past several weeks - but am feeling better now and am ready to jump into the new year with a new image and some good work ahead.

Blogging music today - Face to Face (Live). One of my favorite live bands of all time - they recently got back together, are touring again and have a new album coming out at some point soon. Just the right mix of grit and melody...

Ok, back to business now. So, I recently shot an entire roll of film on one subject. Now, this is a rarity for me - I tend to shoot conservatively (contrary to what every photo teacher I've ever had has instructed me to do). I guess it's the photo editor in me. Well, in this case, I thought the scene warranted more attention for 2 reasons. Firstly, it was very cool...I'd had my eye on it for a while and didn't know if I could do it justice, but I wanted several attempts at it...since the camera I use can be kinda finicky. Secondly, the scene itself and the lighting involved was a bit complicated. Lots of highlights and shadow - small details, etc...things that are not always conducive to my style and printing process. Well, the film is back, scanned and I've got the beginnings of a cool image here. Oh, and it's color!


Keep in mind that this is pretty raw - only minor adjustments were made thus far. One thing I did do was build the rope holding the tire - the lighting faded it into the background too much, so I had to recreate some of it...but no biggie. I have some decisions to make on this one: do I keep it color or change to b/w? Do I keep it as a straight image or run it through the printing process? And, the other thing I'm not sure about - that damn baby swing. Removing it is really complicated due to the what's behind it, so my choices really are to leave it or crop it out. Problem is, I really like the house to the right, so cropping out that swing would make for a pretty unbalanced image...and not in a good way based on my first impression. Decisions decisions, but I think this one could be a winner when I'm done with it. I'll post the final image when complete so everyone can see how it evolved.

Other than that - I discovered that the camera I've been shooting with for almost 10 years is made from bakelite, not plastic. This material is the predecessor to modern plastic...and people made everything out of it...jewelry, radios, accessories...and yes...cameras. Kinda cool that the piece even has more history than I initially thought.

I plan to do some more shooting the next couple of weeks, so hopefully more images soon! In the meantime, stay warm!

-Marc

1 comment:

Ara Lucia said...

I know this isn't your style, but I would be intrigued by seeing just that baby swing made black and white. Almost as if it was cut out of newspaper and put in there. To look at the modern thing in the image as if it were old.

But anyway speaking to you, and your work. I like where you are going with the color here. I can still see you in the choice of subject and the composition. And of course due to the color it has a different kind of punch. I will be curious to see what you decide to focus on -- the house, the tire... either would work as a continuation of your work.