Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Calibration Situation

Howdy!

Happy 2009 everyone! I hope you all had a festive holiday - hopefully we'll all have plenty of things to celebrate in the coming year.

I woke up with a cold this morning, so my brain is not exactly at functioning at peak level right now. But, I thought I would say hello, and maybe complain a little bit about something...(big shocker, I know)

So, I've come to realize that my laptop, where I do most of my image work (particularly related to the www.sirinsky.com site) displays color balance differently than every other computer on earth. Don't ask me why - I absolutely have no idea, but it's driving me nuts. The website can look perfect on my laptop, but it looks way off on most other comps. I've looked at the site on both Macs and PCs, and although they of course vary a little, it is certainly within the realm of acceptability. My specific laptop is clearly the problem.

That being said, I don't want to fully calibrate it because the majority of the people looking at the site will be viewing it on a monitor that isn't truly calibrated. But, I need to figure out something. I'll probably just need to find a machine that I can use as my "base" and adjust the color on my laptop to match it. We'll see. I spent hours this weekend adjusting the color on most of the images so they look good on at least my desktop at home. Hopefully, the site looks good to everyone else as well. If something seems goofy, let me know - always nice to have the feedback.

Other than that, not a whole lot of news. Show in Easton comes down next weekend and I was told by the gallery staff that the feedback was very positive. Not quite as good as a sale, but I'll take it!

Well, we're due to get an ice storm here, so I'm off to do a preemptive salt, etc. More soon...


-Marc

No comments: