Sunday, March 27, 2016

Back From The Dead

Hi everyone:

After a promise that I would be better about posting art news here, this is my first post in all of 2016.   Seriously shameful.  I could provide a ton of excuses, but that doesn't really get us anywhere, does it?
So much has happened, it's hard to know where to start!

In June of 2015, Gallery Plan B (my "home" in Washington, DC) closed its doors.  Since then, I've been working on my current bodies of work, and even managed to start a new one... more on that in minute.  I participated in a couple of group shows - the most enjoyable of which was Art Night DC - a wonderful experience with an incredible array of work.  A lucky design firm is now the proud owner of an image from my "painterly" series, and I hope to do the show again next year.

I also just returned from a trip to Italy, where I of course shot a bunch of images.  For this trip, I actually left my plastic camera at home... a first for me.  I did manage to get some other nice images with the other two camera I brought along for the journey.  Many of course were posted to various social media sites, but I held back a few, including one of my favorites:



I photographed this while en route from Montecatini Terme, IT to the old Etruscan city of Volterra.  I'm really pleased with how it turned out - both as a single image, and for the way it fits into my general portfolio of work.

I also finished an image from a brand new series about an hour ago.   I'm not sure where this series is going, but I have some hopes for it and think it could be a nice change of pace for me, without leading me too far astray from my other work:




The image was shot with an iPhone, but using this really cool microscope called a uHandy by Aidmics Biotechnology.  As many of you know, I look to my personal past and as inspiration for many of my images.  The last time I was in Chicago, I visited the neighborhood where I grew up and took some "samples" from a few select locations.  When I returned, I ran some of the samples through a scientific process and then created the photographs from the results.  This one is from the location of a bicycle accident I had as young kid, and accordingly, the image is called "Crash."   I have high hopes for this series, and unlike most of my other work that tends to be on the small side, I envision these prints being quite a bit larger.   We'll see how it all develops (pun intended - see what I did there?)

So, creating new work and looking for a new gallery home...that about covers it for now.  More updates as they become available, and thanks for sticking with me!

-Marc



No comments: