Monday, April 13, 2009

The Recovery

Hi all:



The title of this blog refers to my fun, but exhausting trip to Chicago last week. I'd expect my "recovery" to last quite a while, since the drive back was 15 1/2 hours through poorly lit mountain roads (except for the dreadfully flat, boring Ohio portion) with two screaming kids in the back. Not surprisingly, I woke up with a bit of a headache - so for blogging music, I decided to go with The Smiths. Chill, but not TOO chill so that my head falls to the keyboard.


I visited Flatfile for the last time during this trip (see earlier posts for reference), and I must admit I had mixed feelings. They had a postcard up on the wall for every exhibition the gallery ever mounted, and my name was on a whole lot of them - particularly early on during the gallery's infancy. I'm excited to start the next chapter in my career, but seeing all those postcards, the floor filled with office supplies and furniture being sold off - part of me was a little sad about it. But, onward and upward!


I also did some shooting while I was back - 2 rolls. I didn't feel quite as inspired as I did the last time I was there, but there is one shot that I'm praying turns out. The rest of it might yield a surprise or two, but I'm ok with having only one to be anxious about - especially since I should have a bunch of scans this week to get crackin' on.


Today's image is courtesy of a great artist named Mark Debernardi. A fellow Flatfile artist - I actually own a piece of his work: a spectacular self-portrait showing the artist with moth wings from Thailand - I should really take a shot of it and show it to everyone. A great guy - Mark greets all my house guests from our foyer, safely behind glass of course. The below shot is a really cool image of the WTC that he constructed using photographic collage and some other techniques that remain a mystery. So, enjoy all you New Yorkers! Web address for Mark is: http://home.earthlink.net/~mdebernardi/







And I have to show you guys this one too - because I just love it...




No other major news to report...I'll keep everyone posted on progress on the new work. Should be interesting!


-Marc

No comments: