Saturday, June 27, 2009

Thank You For Your Kind Distraction...

Hi everyone:

News abound today, as I sit before you with a cup of black tea and the start of a cold. And before you scold me, I've already plowed myself with vitamin C and zinc today - but honestly folks, I doubt it is going to matter. Everyone else in the house has it - I'm the last one standing, and it's already starting. I'm armed with all the stuff in the world to help, but resistance is likely futile.

So, before all hell breaks loose and I feel like complete crap, I thought I'd update everyone on some things. For blogging music today, I'm aware I should select Michael Jackson. But honestly, I'm not really in that kind of mood - and I'm sure I will be hearing all I can handle from Mr. Jackson in the coming weeks, so I'm gonna go another direction. U2 - to begin the process of getting pumped for the show in September in Chi-town. We'll start with 'Electrical Storm' I think (William Orbit Mix) and go from there. Sound good? Not that you have a choice...

Yesterday, I was in desperate need of some good news, and I got it. Mr. Ken Jones Jr. sold one of my pieces in NY! Normally, one sale wouldn't warrant mention, but in this case, he was introducing me to a brand new audience. All things considered, he and the folks at Foley & Cox Home managed to get a sale pretty quickly. I'm not sure which one sold yet, nor do I know who bought it. But, if you're reading this - I hope it brings many years of enjoyment to you or whomever you bought it for. So, it appears to Ken and I are off to a decent start. This week, we'll be chatting about a few more pieces to bring up there. Hopefully this isn't simply beginner's luck...

I'm also thinking about re-writing or at least tweaking my artist's statement. I've been using my current one for many years now, and though it still relevant thematically, my work has obviously undergone some changes. I feel like I could get something going that will zero-in a bit more, without telling the viewer what to think or feel. Writing this blog entry is partially an attempt to distract myself from this daunting task, but once I'm done here, it's time to give it a whirl.

I got a roll of film back yesterday, and something happened in the rewind. Some of the film got bent and some frames even came back torn, which I'm guessing happened in camera while advancing the film. That's what you get with 1920's technology - accidents...some happy and some not-so-happy. At first glance, the roll was disappointing overall, but I need to take a closer look before I declare it a complete failure. Maybe there are one or two surprises in there, but probably not more than that.

Tom still has my film for scanning, and I'm scared to check in with him. I told him he could have as long as he wanted - so I kinda need to stand by that and just wait it out - at least for a little while longer. I have a few other scanned images I was editing when I got distracted by life, and I hope to be getting back to those soon. So, a couple new pieces may still be in the works...provided they don't suck.

No images today folks - I've been a little bit distracted. Next time, I promise.


Enjoy the weekend and send me some white blood cells!


-Marc

No comments: